Teaching Assistant - Aspiring Teacher
Graduate Teaching Assistant
Would you like to gain experience in the classroom? Are you looking at a career in teaching?
Teaching assistants support teachers and help children with their educational and social development, both in and out of the classroom. In secondary schools, teaching assistants are often known as learning support assistants.
The roles and responsibilities of teaching assistants are varied and differ between schools. Your job can include:
- getting the classroom ready for lessons
- listening to children read, reading to them or telling them stories
- helping children who need extra support to complete tasks
- helping teachers to plan learning activities and complete records
- supporting teachers in managing class behaviour
- supervising group activities
- looking after children who are upset or have had accidents
- clearing away materials and equipment after lessons
- helping with outings and sports events
- taking part in training
- carrying out administrative tasks
To support pupils with particular individual needs, some teaching assistants work one-to-one, while others work in small groups. Many schools employ teaching assistants with particular specialisms, including literacy, numeracy, special educational needs (SEN), music and creative arts. If you are bilingual, you might do more work with children whose first language is not English.
Experienced and specially-trained teaching assistants can be expected to supervise a class for a teacher who is off sick or undertaking training. While every class must be allocated a qualified teacher, higher level teaching assistants (HLTAs) would be expected occasionally to lead a lesson.
The Nuts and Bolts:
- Graduate Learner Support Assistant / Teaching Assistant
- 60 to 75 daily rate
- School hours 08h30 to 15h30
The Red Tape:
- You need to be eligible to work in the UK
- Have your National Insurance number
- Provide recent and relevant references
- Have a valid DBS/police check - if you do not possess a current DBS you will need to apply and we will guide you with the process
Applications are open and we are actively recruiting now in anticipation of the re-opening of schools.