Psychology Graduate Teaching Assistant
Veritas Education are working with an OFSTED 'outstanding' school based in the borough of Southwark that are looking for a psychology graduate teaching assistant to join a Year 1 classroom until the end of the academic year. Your main responsibility will be to work with a student that has mild autism and would need assistance throughout the day to stay on task and have the best experience learning in school. As the students 1:1 you will need to be attentive, hard working and passionate about working with SEN.
The school is modern with lovely facilities, this year they are almost at full capacity with 2 classes in each year groups from Reception to Year 6 and is easily accessible via overground connections, commuting via bus or for staff that drive as parking is offered to all staff members. The schools aims are to respect all students and guide them through their development so they enjoy their years at school. Should you be successful with your application you will join a friendly, helpful and devoted staff that are very welcoming to all new starters.
MAIN DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF A PSYCHOLOGY GRADUATE TEACHING ASSISTANT:
Support for Pupils
- Support pupils to make good academic progress, under the direction of the teacher and Inclusion leader
- Set challenging and demanding expectations and promote self-esteem and independence
- Implement group or 1:1 interventions to support pupils who have emotional or social barriers to learning
- Establish constructive relationships with pupils, acting as a role model and setting high expectations
- Promote the inclusion and acceptance of all pupils
- Provide feedback to pupils in relation to progress and achievement under guidance of the teacher
- Attend to the pupils' personal needs, and implement related personal programmes, including social, health, physical, hygiene, first aid and welfare matters
- Understand Individual Education Plans & Behaviour Support Plans and assist to implement these, under the guidance of the teacher
Support for Teachers
- Create and maintain a purposeful, orderly and supportive environment, in accordance with lesson plans and assist with the display of pupils' work
- Use strategies, under the direction of the teacher, to support pupils to achieve learning goals
- Discuss with the teacher how learning activities are to be organised and what their own support role will be
- Monitor pupils' responses to learning activities and accurately record and feedback to the teacher as directed
- Promote good pupil behaviour, dealing promptly with conflict and incidents in line with established policy and encourage pupils to take responsibility for their own behaviour
- Provide administrative support, e.g. photocopying, typing, filing, collecting money, administer coursework
Desirable for teaching assistant:
- An honours degree in psychology (preferably Upper Second) or equivalent
If you would like to be considered for this psychology graduate teaching assistant opportunity, please send your application and if successful we will contact you with full information about the role and the school. Or feel free to call (phone number removed) and ask to speak to one of our consultants.
I look forward to hearing from you!
APPLICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR VERITAS EDUCATION
- All applications are subject to an Enhanced DBS Disclosure, professional reference checks, Overseas Police Clearances (if applicable) in line with our stringent safeguarding policy
- Your CV must cover the last 10 years of employment history where possible and all employment breaks must be explained
- You must have legal right to work in the UK
- You must be willing to attend a registration interview
Veritas Education work with a variety of schools covering a wide geographical area. We deal with teaching placements at Primary, Secondary and college level as well as support staff positions also within these.
'Nothing within the above advert was in any way designed or intended to discriminate on the grounds of age, gender, race, colour, religion, disability or sexual orientation. Veritas Education is an Equal opportunities employer and is proud in the knowledge that all placements are made on merit and suitability. We accept applications from all sections of the community.'